Friday, October 8, 2010

Do Case Studies In Business Ethics Increase Ethical Behavior?

Via Pilant's Business Ethics Blog.
Only if the examples are of a particular type and taught in a particular way. Back in 2006, a group of professors from a variety of business disciplines got together to teach a class using the examples of Enron, Worldcom, Tyco and Shell.
At the end of the semester, the number of students in a simulated trading room who were caught in misconduct or misusing information for insider trading was significantly higher than at the beginning. The students said, “You taught us how to do it,” Buono recalled.
“For those of us who’ve spent our careers teaching this, it’s been a disappointing time,” said Buono, who has taught at the Waltham, Mass., college for 27 years. “Some of the most renowned names in the corporate world are now jokes at cocktail parties. And they were led by graduates of our business programs."
Click Here to Read: Do Case Studies In Business Ethics Increase Ethical Behavior?

2 comments:

  1. It was very kind of you to reblog my post. I found that you had more by accident than intent. I'm very pleased that you did. If you would do a trackback and let me know that you're doing it, I would appreciate it because then I would know someone was reading my stuff(and that always feels good).
    I looked at your entries. Most impressive. I am going to reblog some of your stuff, so that more people can see it.
    Now, here are the rules for me using your stuff, when I reblog yours, I will introduce you briefly, discuss the article and then use roughly (depending on the number of words) your first three sentences and then link back to your site, so that anyone who wishes to continue will have to go there.
    I want to build your web traffic with my audience. Business ethics is a controversial and difficult subject. We who have higher values need our voices heard.

    What about you using my stuff? You have my permission to use as much or as little of an article as you want. You can reblog me or just excerpt me. Whatever you want to do with the material is okay with me. We're in the same struggle.

    I am very pleased to make your acquaintance. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

    Tell you what, I have a good friend who blogs out of India. Her name is Sonia Jaspal. Her site is http://soniajaspal.wordpress.com/. I bet you'd like her writing.

    Once again, thanks!

    James Pilant / Southwerk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,

    Thank you for your comment and for also providing readers with such great information on business ethics.

    As requested, I will let you know when I link to one of your posts. Like you said, it's a good feeling knowing someone's reading your material.

    In regards to Sonia, I reached out to her a couple days ago. I'm a big fan of her blog (which I actually found thanks to you). It's nice to meet people like you and Sonia who want to inform and educate the public.

    Kind Regards,

    Fraud Girl

    ReplyDelete