Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pavlo on Skilling

Interview from 2006 with Chris MacDonald (Business Ethics Blog) and Walt Pavlo (convicted felon) on former Enron CEO Jeff Skilling. Here's a snippet of the interview:

Business Ethics Blog: So, people may not make the connection between what they're doing and the serious wrongs they see being punished.

Walt Pavlo: Sure. You know, I think a lot of people will even rationalize in their minds, they'll say you know what I may be doing some thing wrong but, my gosh, I'm not doing that much wrong, you know, into the billions of dollars. And I think that's the wrong way to look at it, to be honest with you. That's a rationalization that takes place when people say 'you know it was bad but I wasn't as bad as Skilling and Lay.' This case was so well-publicized, and so large a dollar amount. I don't know if it'll be a deterrent because people just don't see themselves as being that bad. And honestly, looking at what Skilling says, he doesn't see himself as being that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment